Disupt Covid-19: Digital hackathon, hacking for public procurement
Startupbootcamp is excited to announce that together with the UK-South Africa Tech Hub, a UK government initiative, we will be hosting the Disrupt COVID-19 Digital Hackathon. We are inviting startups, entrepreneurs, and innovators to join us as we develop solutions to further advance economic inclusion and build resilience.
We are calling innovators with radical solutions to address key challenges in the informal economy and SMME sector more widely. Through this, startups will be designing new approaches to overhaul state procurement, digitise information systems for ease of access to public information and support, and lastly improve transparency in procurement processes.
To do this we call for startups and innovators with technologies solving for:
- Process automation for large data sets ensuring data validation and authentication in the procurement process
- Processing capabilities that ensure integrity and compliance against existing requirements of procurement data
- Technology to open up procurement capability by the public sector to allow for rapid onboarding of new suppliers and SMMEs
- Technologies for ensuring and checking compliance of SMMEs
- Technologies that can reach the informal sector aiding in compliance checking and data access for other government organisations
We, therefore, invite founders to apply to one of the above challenge areas and present their technologies to combat the impact of COVID-19. We want solutions to ultimately achieve the following:-
- Include SMMEs in public procurement as part of our response to COVID-19.
- Drive transparency and best practice in procurement processes
- Build a database of SMMEs nationwide that reflects information comprehensively
- Ensure SMME are compliant for public procurement
- Novel interventions for supporting SMMEs
We invite all innovators to help us build solutions to tackle these challenges. Innovators can apply on the following link from the 15 June 2020 till 28 June 2020: https://forms.gle/kABasD4XgSHDDyVj7
The Hackathon will happen on the following dates: 6 July- 9 July 2020. Participating startups will be notified on the 1st of July 2020.
Startups will have the opportunity to work with the UK Government’s Global Digital Marketplace Programme which works with five partner countries across the world to help them design out corruption through user-centred approaches to procurement.
Winning teams will also receive ZAR 15,000 in cash prizes, Amazon AWS credits, logistics support, membership to the Silicon Cape Network, and other support. This will assist those teams to implement Pilots and Proof of Concepts for the solution with the challenge partners.
About UK-South Africa Tech Hub
The UK-South Africa Tech Hub forms part of the International Tech Hub network delivered by DCMS (Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport), under the Digital Access Programme – a UK government initiative designed to build inclusive prosperity through capitalising on digital services and opportunities in partner countries. The International Tech Hubs are expert teams which work to stimulate local digital economies, build high-end digital skills, and forge innovation partnerships between local tech sectors and international businesses. Alongside South Africa, there are Hubs operating in Nigeria, Kenya, India, Indonesia and Brazil. Through the Hubs’ activities, entrepreneurs and founders, acquire the skills, resource and support needed to turbocharge their entrepreneurial journey.