The ten Qatar SportsTech companies have received 1.5m USD in committed seed funding and secured a soft commitment of a further 5m USD in up-coming funding
Doha, 2 May 2019 – Qatar SportsTech, in partnership with Qatar Development Bank and powered by Startupbootcamp, the world’s largest network of innovation programs, celebrates today the first SportsTech Demo Day in the region at Khalifa Stadium.
This first edition was based on the theme of “A Burst of Innovation”; showcased through high-tech design, interactive product demos, insightful panels of discussion and keynote speeches, this event marks the culmination of three months of acceleration of the ten startups graduating today.
The excitement around this emerging tech startup sector attracted an exclusive audience of industry leaders, ministers, local and international investors, ambassadors and members of the Al Thani royal family.
The teams that took the stage showcased solutions ranging from wearables and equipment, fan engagement and experience, sports medical, e-sports, sports culture, sports tourism, team performance and analytics, venue optimization, and management.
During the program, the ten startups have created impact, establishing pilots and partnerships with leading names in sports, including the QST program partners, as well as companies relevant to their industries. With the support of the founding partner, Qatar Development Bank (QDB), the teams have secured 400.000$ in the form of facilities and services, in addition to a cash payment of 20.000 $.
Our sincere congratulations to the QST team for their tremendous strides and success in Doha and the region within such a short time-frame. This is a testament to their outstanding expertise and excellent track record in delivering world-class acceleration value.
As a partner of Qatar SportsTech and ecosystem builder, we have an ambitious mission to create a strong foundation for the next generation of entrepreneurs and ventures to develop upon in the years to come. We look forward to seeing our high-performing SportsTech teams present at the Demo Day, and I am looking forward to having unicorns among them, added Abdulaziz bin Nasser Al-Khalifa, CEO Qatar Development Bank.
- FindaPlayer (United Kingdom) – Since joining the QST programme Find a Player has received overwhelming feedback supporting its launch in Qatar. They are in discussions with the Supreme Committee, Qatar Foundation, and Qatar Sports Museum to deliver unique local sports opportunities, and in advanced talks with local investors to raise a Series A round of 5m USD.
- Matchat (Qatar), an emerging Arabic platform aiming to enhance football fans’ experience, signed a contract with Qatar Development Bank (QDB) for which they acquired support and facilities worth of 400,000 USD.
- Olympia (United Kingdom) aggregates and organize all sports data on their universal platform based on the blockchain. Backed by business stars and top 10 tennis players they have secured partnerships with 30 leading governing bodies in the world including PRESSthe US Professional Tennis Association. Olympia recently secured 1.2M€ investment in their 3M€ Pre-A series round. As a future major partner of the TASMU project led by the MOTC and financed by the QDB, the team is relocating their headquarters in Doha.
- StarsLeague (Qatar), an application centralizing the most popular football fantasy competitions is in advanced discussions to close partnership with a huge international telecommunications company.
- Horse Analytics (Germany) empower horse enthusiasts to improve the health, fitness, and well-being of horses through innovative technologies and real-time scientific analytics. They are now in advanced discussion with the Equine Veterinary Medical Centre of Al Shaqab for a Pilot of Vital-Cam for health Monitoring as well as for a research Cooperation on Birth Monitoring and Qatar Airways on on-Flight Stress monitoring.
- P.U.R.E CO (Netherlands) – A smart ball that provides real-time coaching cues, statistics on touches, passes, kicks, speed, distance & spin secured a retail deal with European retailer involving 5000 stores to start selling their products from June 2019. PURE is in advanced discussions to test their technology with Aspire and FC Barcelona this summer.
- TieSports (Portugal), a complete set of software tools for Racket Sports management and engagement, is the National Promoter for the Portuguese Tennis Federation. During the QST program, they built up strong relations with local partners fueling their expansion into the Arab region.
- Moduu (Germany) one of the world’s first wireless sports clothing that stimulates muscles and tracks body data has agreed to proceed with a pilot with Qatar Airways and is in advance discussions to test their technology with a leading multinational automotive corporation.
- MingIVision (United Kingdom), a platform that allows you to watch the game your way, is working with Supreme Committee to implement their technology whilst finalizing discussion with one the leading broadcasting names in the region for a future commercial partnership.
- CreativeBot (United States) – the first plug-and-play virtual assistant to enable 1-to-1 conversation at scale between sports organizations and their fans on any digital platform, has been running pilots with some of the biggest names in sports including professional football clubs, the Seattle Sounders, Olympique Lyonnais and more recently FC Barcelona. CreativeBot is moving forward with talks to provide the Supreme Committee with the official smart bot for the FIFA™ World Cup 2022.
Together with Qatar Financial Centre, Qatar SportsTech has supported the founders throughout the program with legal and financial expertise to scale their businesses in the region. At Demo Day, Koen Bosma, program Managing Director announced on stage that all ten companies have successfully been incubated and will have a registered legal entity in Qatar.
Sheikha Alanoud Bint Hamad Al-Thani, Managing Director of Business Development, QFC Authority said: Qatar SportsTech will have an increasingly essential role, locally and globally, in taking the sports industry to the next level, in line with the fourth industrial revolution. The need to adopt a robust sports technology industry is only going to increase as we approach the 2022 FIFA World Cup, and will continue well afterward. The QFC is therefore committed to working closely with innovative sports companies to support this growingly important sector.
In his opening remarks, Koen Bosma offered a glimpse into what the future holds for Qatar SportsTech.
2019 was a time of new beginnings and what a start it has been! We have only scratched the surface of our potential. I am so excited to soon be welcoming new strategic partners to be joining Qatar SporstTech and to see more initiatives like QST shaping the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Doha. Watch this space! added Koen Bosma.
QDB and Supreme Committee will also disclose more information about upcoming acceleration programs in the region that will have a massive impact on Qatar’s development as an innovation hub.
After Demo Day, QST will continue supporting each company’s growth with targeted connections, hands-on commercial and fundraising support, and of course events that bring together over 800 Startupbootcamp alumni companies worldwide.
For more information about Qatar SportsTech please visit www.qatarsportstech.com
See a full image gallery from QST Demo Day.