Four months ago, right after the first Demo Day for our FinTech & CyberSecurity program in Amsterdam, we started scouting for the second round of the accelerator. What a busy and fruitful applications period it was! In our search for great teams with great products in Fintech, Cybersecurity, and Insurtech, we spoke to thousands of startups and attended tens of conferences. As a result, we received over 500 applications from 73 countries, 21 of which were invited to our Selection Days.
On the 27th and the 28th of September, more than 140 mentors and program partners and 21 startups gathered together to share knowledge and discuss business opportunities. Some of the most forward-thinking organizations in the FinTech industry including ING, Rabobank, PGGM, VIVAT, and Capgemini attended our event. The word “collaboration” was amongst the most mentioned during the two days of the selection process. During the interviews, startups, as well as mentors and partners, talked about the importance of Corporate-Startup Collaboration.
“Besides mentoring and inspiration, the invited startups get a view into the way corporates look at the market and what consumers think of the market. This is the melting pot where everything comes together, and that is why it is important for us to be here today.”
A.J. Dunn, co-founder at Abroaders, one of the selected startups, explained that for young companies that have aspirations to scale, getting feedback from large enterprises is extremely insightful.
“Being experienced players in the market, corporates are able to push us in the right direction to a potential pivot or a way we can apply our technology to a different sector or a vertical.”
Two insightful days filled with pitching, keynotes, and valuable mentor sessions resulted in new ideas being born through collaboration. After receiving feedback during mentor sessions and networking drinks, some of the startups discovered new business models they can apply or different markets they could potentially enter.
The second day finished with an announcement everyone was waiting for: not 10, but 11 teams that will join the 2018 accelerator cohort! We are proud to present them to you:
- Dolphin Blockchain Intelligence (Russia): Provides investors with quick and high-quality risk and profitability assessment of crypto-asset investments.
- FinCom (Israel): Proprietary technology which enables compliance for KYC onboarding, Anti-Money Laundering & GDPR that works even if names are misspelled or in another language.
- Gyomo (USA): Prevent phishing by educating clients and staff via crowdsourcing, machine learning, and gamification.
- Hatch Money (Great Britain): Hatch is a smart bank dedicated to the self-employed.
- KlippaCast (Netherlands): Makes receipt purchasing data as accessible as online banking.
- OpSeeker (Spain): Offers an online financial planner to teach retail clients to manage their money more effectively.
- Penstable (Denmark): Pension products tailored to individual risk and return needs, investing exclusively in impact and sustainability projects, all at a low cost for the client.
- Stampwallet (Curacao): Make loyalty transactions affordable and easy to implement for B2C & B2B2C.
- Treasury Delta (Ireland) Treasury Delta helps companies get a better deal on their banking costs.
- Vision Tech Lab (Portugal): Software used by system administrators to detect, deceive, manage and monitor attacks in company networks using Deception technology and Artificial Intelligence to analyze the attacker’s behavior.
- Westgate (Great Britain): Software that makes robust encryption, strong authentication and data privacy available to everyone via a secure VPN.
- Scale-up in Residence FinBase (Netherlands): MijnGeldzaken.nl is the first consumer platform that integrates personal financial management, personal financial planning and personal financial advice.
The FinTech & CyberSecurity accelerator program in Amsterdam will kick off on the 30th of October. The 11 selected teams will receive intensive mentorship from world-class entrepreneurs and top executives, funding of €15K, free office space as well as support from Startupbootcamp local and global partners.
At the end of the program, startups will present the results of 3 months of acceleration in front of hundreds of investors, mentors, and press at the Demo Day on the 8th of February.