Experts for Experts
Startupbootcamp HighTechXL is different from incubators or many other accelerators in the world. It is a mentor driven program. Mentors play a very important role helping start-ups to “achieve in three months what would normally take a year”. They also activate their network, both local and international. In the case of Eindhoven, this is a high quality network with a focus on high tech that is the envy of the rest of the world.
One of mentors of our valued partner USG Professionals, Karen van der Kolk says: ‘The first program was amazing, and demo day blew us away. Everybody is very enthusiastic .’ Karen is Director Innovation & Organisation at USG and is very well connected to our startups. She is not only leveraging the vast network of USG to the program, but she is also developing programs how startups can grow their teams or use the knowledge from their flexible workforce. She recognizes not only the inspiration and energy that she and her colleagues get from this accelerator, but she explains there is another huge benefit for them to join the program: ‘We like to add value to the startups, but at the same time, we like to learn from the startups.
Most of the mentorship is concentrated during the 3-month accelerator program. How this mentorship work in practice?
- From previous experience at each participating start-up usually has 5 to 8 mentors that are actively involved during the 3 month acceleration phase of the program.
- This means that these “lead mentors” receive weekly updates on the team’s progress and needs. They have intense contact with these teams.
- Next to the “actively involved mentors”, there is a larger mentor pool of expertise. The mentors in this pool are less intensely involved with specific startups, often having specific skills that are needed in certain phases of the program.
- Including advice on international taxation, outsourcing certain types of technical development or coding, protecting IP, or developing a pitch in English for an audience of investors in Silicon Valley, Europe or East Asia.
- With this pool 150+ mentors we can open any door in world…
All mentors meet the participating teams face to face at least once for a half or full day during the program (depending on the mentor’s availability) at the Startupbootcamp office on High Tech Campus Eindhoven. The first opportunity to meet the mentors will be during the selection days on 13 and 14 October.
What’s in it for them?
You must be asking yourself this question. Because being a mentor at Startupbootcamp HighTechXL is a voluntary job, and our successful pool of mentors have in general limited time due to their busy working schedules. Though all mentors are committed to spend time and open their network for you, since they all experience a huge benefit of being part of ourcommunity. The schedule below shows the main reasons why mentors mentor.
To conclude Karen says: ‘Our experts are looking forward to working again with the bright and inspiring people from the high tech startups from Startupbootcamp HighTechXL. In this environment we can really be ‘Experts for Experts’.
Marketing & Business Development, Startupbootcamp HighTechXL