|Thank you very much for your interest in our Scale Osaka program. You can rest assured that the program will be continuing as planned this year, however, depending on the situation over the coming months, we may either run the program semi-remote or completely remote. This decision will be made on 4 September 2020. We plan to communicate this as efficiently as we can to all program applicants, but if you have any concerns or questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.
About the Program
Startupbootcamp Scale Osaka is an equity-free opportunity for high-growth mature startups to accelerate their market entry into the world’s 3rd largest economy, with a focus on business development and running pilots with some of Japan’s largest corporates.
By focusing on seed-funded companies with validated business models, the program is designed to help founders from around the world scale their business in Japan, by collaborating with billion dollar companies on PoCs across various sectors under the broad theme of “Smart Cities & Living”.
Each program cycle lasts 3 months and will be limited to 10 companies so we can provide extremely tailored support. While on-site participation is expected for certain events (pending COVID-19), teams do not need to relocate to Osaka for the entire program. In addition to leveraging a targeted group of mentors and investors, founders will work closely with a group of amazing partners who support the Startupbootcamp Scale Osaka program. These key industry players will provide executive level access to their extensive network and explore partnership opportunities with each company joining the program.
Meet the Partners
- Hankyu Corporation is a Japanese railway operator and is one of the core companies of the Hankyu Hanshin Holdings Group. The HHH Group conducts business in the seven core segments of urban transportation, real estate, entertainment, information and communication technology, travel, international transportation and hotels. They are striving to drive innovation to improve people’s lifestyles by providing “safety and comfort” and “dreams and excitement”.
- Dentsu is in the top 5 largest advertising networks globally. Their influences ranges across many different business spheres and holds large potential. They are looking to explore foodtech, adtech and sportstech within Osaka/Kansai and hope to bring about innovative ideas for the future development business in Osaka/Kansai.
- JR West Group is a giant operating across transport, real estate, retail and other businesses with just under US$30B in total assets. JR West Innovations is the CVC of the JR West group, and they focus on entrepreneurship, innovation and exploring new potential angles that will support the JR West Group.
- The Yomiuri Shimbun is a leading Japanese media group issuing about 8 million daily newspapers, the largest number in the world. As well as their news and media outlets, The Yomiuri Shimbun also owns a series of different branches in sports, esports, travel and entertainment, which are eager to adopt and develop new innovation.
- JT Group is currently engaged in tobacco, pharmaceutical and food businesses, with operations in over 130 countries.
- Sakura Internet is Japan’s largest Web Hosting provider, leading as a data center business with high capacity backbone, a high-speed internetwork and technologically advanced facilities. They are looking to support innovative ideas to help them grow.
- SMBC is one of Japan’s largest financial institutions with an extensive domestic and global footprint. They are hoping to assist innovative ideas and help companies build a network that would support them in the future.
The program concludes with a final capstone event attended by an exclusive list of mentors, investors, and partners. The companies then gain access to the extensive Startupbootcamp Global Alumni network that includes retreats, events, partner services, and continuous support.
The program is led by Joshua Flannery who most recently led the largest innovation hub in Australia and the Southern Hemisphere as Director of the Sydney Startup Hub and has 8 years experience designing and delivering specialized programs for startups including foreign market entry programs. In 2005 as an entrepreneur he gained first-hand experience of bringing an Australian EdTech scaleup into Japan and served as Managing Director of StudyLink株式会社 for 3 years based in Osaka city.
Key Focus Areas
Property Management Tech
HR & Workforce Management
Transport & Mobility
Smart City Planning (GIS)
Wellbeing & Fitness
Media & Advertising
Oct 28 - 30
Why join the program?
No equity taken
Unlike other accelerators, Startupbootcamp Scale Osaka doesn’t take equity in your business. Hold on to your equity and focus on selling and scaling your product into the Japanese market as there are no fees to join the program.
Collaborate deeply with leading corporates operating across various sectors to secure projects, partnerships, and customers to grow your revenue.
3-Month Semi-Remote* Program
A tailored 3-month program designed for scaleup companies to support their market entry and business development in the world’s 3rd largest market. In order to facilitate ease of participation, the program is designed to benefit from (but not require; pending COVID-19) regular touch points in Osaka, with ongoing support provided remotely throughout the program.
Specialized Business Development Support & Masterclasses
Hands-on advice & support with business development for your business in Japan. Expert-led sessions and customized workshops covering Japanese culture & business etiquette, local regulations, legal, funding and expansion.
Perks & Discounts
The program provides 500,000 USD in exclusive partner deals from leading technology providers such as Amazon, Cisco, F6S and others.
Free desks for your entire team in a dynamic coworking space for the duration of the 3-month program in the heart of Osaka, Japan.
Regional and Global Access Network
Unmatched access to our Japan and global network of mentors, corporate partners, financial services industry experts, and alumni across 40+ countries, including carefully selected Japan specialists and mentors who provide hands-on support and valuable introductions.
Direct access to meet the most active venture capitalists and corporates investing in your industry from Japan and around the world.
Detailed Program TimelineScouting will take place over 3 months, and include 3 webinars open to all applicants. Early Bird applicants (apply before June 7th) will have a larger chance of being selected as they will have more chances for interviews and reviews by our Japanese partners, and attendees to our Webinars will also have a higher chance of being selected for our Selection Days.
Why Japan?Osaka, and Kansai is based in the heart of Japan, centrally located, enabling great access to the whole country. The Kansai region consists of six prefectures and prospers as pillars of Japan’s politics, economy and culture. During Japan’s rich history, the capital had been based in Osaka, Kyoto and Nara during various periods. In addition to the over 20 million population in the 100km radius of central Kansai, the area is one of the world’s leading metropolitan areas with a GDP comparable to the Netherlands. With such a rich history, and strong GDP, Osaka is an ideal stage for companies from all around the world to approach and engage in the thriving market in Japan. With the G20, Rugby World Cup, 2020 Olympics and 2025 World Fair, Japan, Kansai and Osaka have enabled many large-scale projects aimed at creating the next generation of cities to come to fruition.
Testimonials from Cohort #1 Participants
“iCetana was able to engage in a proof of concept in Hankyu and Sakura Internet facilities, filtering out much of the normal motion in a continuous CCTV camera stream, to show the operator only the ‘outlier’ events.”
(completed two PoC’s within 3 months, all while completing a successful IPO during the program duration)
- BDM, iCetana
“..we found the program to be fantastic. SBC has enabled us to do business with Yomiuri, and I am hopeful that will be expanding.”
- Founder, Oovvuu
“Travello launched a partnership with The Yomiuri Shimbun and has found great potential in both the inbound and outbound markets of Japan”
- Co-founder, Travello
“Thank you again to the entire SBC team for making the program a positive and worthwhile experience. Based on where we sit today with Yomiuri & Hankyu, the SBC program has been most beneficial for our company.”
- CEO, Soundpays
Website | Map
*Location of program is pending COVID-19.