About the Program
Startupbootcamp Scale Osaka is an equity-free innovation program for high growth Smart City companies to expand globally, increase their revenues, and access significant funding opportunities in Japan, the world’s 3rd largest economy.
By focusing on seed-funded companies with validated business models, the program is designed to help founders scale their business in Japan, with a focus on sales, business development and running pilots with some of Japan’s, and the world’s largest corporates.
The first cohort of Startupbootcamp Scale Osaka will connect Smart City scaleup companies from around the world to collaborate in the areas of Mobility, Living, Health & Wellbeing and Tourism. A particular emphasis will be placed on increasing revenues through targeted access to industry partners like Hankyu, JR West, Dentsu, Sakura Internet, JT, The Yomiuri Shimbun and SMBC.
Each Startupbootcamp Scale Osaka program lasts 3 months and will be limited to 10 companies so we can provide extremely tailored support. While on-site participation is expected for certain events, teams do not need to relocate to Osaka for the entire program. Support will be provided to form a Japanese operating entity if one is not already in place.
In addition to leveraging a targeted group of mentors and investors, founders will work closely with a group of amazing partners who support the Startupbootcamp Scale Osaka program. These key industry players will provide executive level access to their extensive network and explore partnership opportunities with each company joining the program.
Meet the Partners
- Hankyu Corporation is a Japanese railway operator and is one of the core companies of the Hankyu Hanshin Holdings Group. The HHH Group conducts business in the seven core segments of urban transportation, real estate, entertainment, information and communication technology, travel, international transportation and hotels with the revenue of approximately US $7B.
- Dentsu is in the top 5 largest advertising networks globally.
- JR West is a giant operating across transport, real estate, retail and other businesses with just under US$8B in total assets.
- The Yomiuri Shimbun is a leading Japanese media group issuing about 8 million daily newspapers, the largest number in the world.
- JT Group is currently engaged in tobacco, pharmaceutical and food businesses, with operations in over 130 countries.
- Sakura Internet is the Japanese Web Service provider specialists, leading as a data center business with high capacity backbone, a high-speed internetwork and technologically advanced facilities.
- SMBC is one of Japan’s largest financial institutions with an extensive domestic and global footprint.
The program concludes with a final capstone event attended by an exclusive list of mentors, investors, and partners. The companies then gain access to the extensive Startupbootcamp Global Alumni network that includes retreats, events, partner services, and continuous support.
The program is led by Joshua Flannery who most recently led the largest innovation hub in Australia and the Southern Hemisphere as Director of the Sydney Startup Hub and has 8 years experience designing and delivering specialized programs for startups including foreign market entry programs. In 2005 as an entrepreneur he gained first-hand experience of bringing an Australian EdTech scaleup into Japan and served as Managing Director of StudyLink株式会社 for 3 years based in Osaka city.
Key Focus Areas
Health & Wellbeing
Oct 14 - 16
Barcelona, Spain – Smart Cities & Living FastTrack | Scale Osaka
Talent Garden Barcelona
Why join the program?
No equity taken
Unlike other accelerators, Startupbootcamp Scale Osaka doesn’t take equity in your business. Hold on to your equity and focus on selling and scaling your product into the Japanese market as there are no fees to join the program.
Collaborate deeply with leading corporates from the Smart City & Living industry in Japan to secure customers, projects, and partnerships and to grow your revenue.
3-Month Semi-Remote Program
A tailored 3-month program designed for scaleup stage companies to support their market entry and business development in the world’s 3rd largest market, Japan. In order to facilitate maximum growth, the program is designed around regular touch point in Osaka with continued support through off-site activities.
Specialised Business Development Support & Masterclasses
Hands-on support with business development and sales for your business in Japan. Expert-led sessions and customized workshops covering marketing, legal, funding and expansion.
Carefully selected Japan specialists and mentors from your industry who provide hands-on support and valuable introductions.
Perks & Discounts
The program provides 500,000 USD in exclusive partner deals from leading technology providers such as Amazon, Cisco, F6S and others.
Free desks for your entire team in a dynamic coworking space for the duration of the 3-month program in the heart of Osaka, Japan.
Regional and Global Access Network
Unmatched access to Japan and global network of mentors, corporate partners, financial services industry experts, and alumni across 40+ countries including carefully selected Japan specialists and mentors from your industry who provide hands-on support and valuable introductions.
Direct access to meet the most active venture capitalists and corporates investing in your industry from Japan around the world.